To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Viome can tell you what’s wrong with your gut and formulate a customized plan to fix it. As a new company, can it put you on the path to achieving your health goals? We’ll help you decide.
- Key Features
- Pros & Cons
- How Does Viome Work?
- What Do The Results Look Like? (Video)
- Viome’s Competition
- Get results within 3-4 weeks (which is sooner than Ubiome)
- Customers report good experiences with support
- Some customers feel they've been able to improve their digestion, sleep and mood as well as lower inflammation
- Less expensive than Ubiome
- Collect samples yourself and upload them to the app immediately
- Website is rather bare (doesn't explain what a sample consists of and it's vague about pricing)
- Not recommended for those with diabetes
- Some users are confused by the results and graphs
- Some users (from 2017) feel that they received generic (common sense) advice that isn't specific to them (more recent reviews seem more positive)
- Must purchase 1-year of Viome (no other option)
- Complaints of the app crashing
- Analyzes gut health
- Receive personalized food and nutrition plans
- Find out the composition and function of your gut microorganisms (bacteria, viruses, bacteriophages, archaea, fungi, yeast, parasites and more)
- 24/7 access to Coach Vie for any questions/help
After you purchase Viome, you’ll receive an analysis kit in the mail to collect your samples. Mail your samples back into Viome, and it will analyze them to gather information about the nutrients and toxins that are produced by your gut.
Viome will then recommend foods you should and shouldn’t ingest to restore your gut and reduce any inflammation. If necessary, Viome will recommend supplements or probiotics to help balance your gut health.
What Type Of Sample Do I Submit?
Unfortunately, Viome doesn’t list anywhere on its website (that we could find) what the sampling process consists of. This was frustrating since we think it’s important that customers know what the sample process entails before purchasing a test.
We found some feedback from consumers on a forum which included screenshots of the sample instructions. Below is a summary of what it says.
- The test takes about 90 minutes to complete and must be done after fasting (no food or drink except for water) for at least 6 hours (first thing in the morning is a good time).
- Diabetics should NOT complete the test. (This was especially frustrating because we can’t find anything on the website that states this until you go to purchase the test and it’s written in the Informed Consent document… which realistically most of us don’t read.)
- Record all of your measurements in the Viome app.
- You must check your saliva and urine pH levels, count your breaths per minute and breath hold and check your pulse.
- Next, document how you feel as well as your energy and hunger levels. Check your blood glucose level.
- Mix a Challenge Powder with 12-16 ounces of water, stir and drink. For pre-diabetics, you’ll only want to drink 1/3 of the shake.
- Wait 30 minutes and document how you feel as well as your energy and hunger levels. Recheck your blood glucose.
- Wait 45 minutes and document how you feel as well as your energy and hunger levels. Recheck your blood glucose.
- Wait 20 minutes and document how you feel as well as your energy and hunger levels. Recheck your blood glucose.
- Recheck your saliva and urine pH levels, count your breaths per minute and breath hold and recheck your pulse.
- $399 for annual plan, which allows 1 test per month
Results are supposed to be received in about 3 to 4 weeks after the sample is submitted. When you receive your results, you’ll get charts and graphs sent to you through the app with explanations on how to understand the findings.
Additionally, you’ll receive recommendations on how you can improve your gut health. You can then conduct another test the following month and see how the changes you implemented affected your results and if you’re on the right path.
See What Viome Results Look Like
Viome launched in May 2017, so at barely 1-year-old it’s still learning the ropes. Competitors like Ubiome seem to have their footing more than Viome, especially since it’s been around since 2012. However, Ubiome does not offer very customized diet recommendations. We suggest reading more about Ubiome in our individual review before making a purchase decision on either of these gut health tests. You may also want to check out Restore, which is a supplement that claims to help your gut health.
What gut health concerns are you dealing with that have you considering Viome?