To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Countless jobs require you to be bilingual in today’s international economy. Whether you’re in the medical profession, a journalist or in law enforcement, employers prefer to hire someone who is bilingual. Being bilingual not only makes you more appealing to employers, it can also get you a pay raise. But how can you learn a new language when you’ve got a full-time job? You probably don’t have time to go back to school. That’s where language learning softwares come in handy. In our Pimsleur Review we’ll discuss key components, pros, cons, pricing, customer reviews and our personal experience with the software.
- Teaches pronunciation, conversation skills and listening comprehension
- Mimicks the way you learn as a child
- Guarantees spoken proficiency if you complete the first 30 lessons
- Phone, FAQs and email support
- Pronunciation can improve easily
- Pimsleur Course manager app for learning on the go
- Teaches you how to read the language
- Pimsleur Unlimited app has flashcards and review lessons
- Some users find the software boring and repetitive
- No visuals
- Expensive compared to alternatives
- Only learn about 10 new words/phrases per lesson
- No writing lessons
Pimsleur Key Features
- Spend 30 minutes a day and they guarantee you’ll be proficient in the new language
- Available in digital, software and CD formats
- Languages are taught with the “Listen and Learn” approach (similar to how you learn as a child)
Pimsleur Pricing (MSRP)
Pricing varies but here’s an example of the French language courses:
- $550 MP3 version for all 5 levels
- $1,190 CD version for all 5 levels
- $450 software version for levels 1-4
Is Pimsleur Bueno?
Pimsleur sent us the software to try in exchange for an honest review. We found that some team members liked while others didn’t enjoy as much, but it just comes down to a matter of preference. If you are more of a visual learner who likes seeing words and phrases, then this isn’t the best fit for you. However, if you prefer audio learning and like listening to podcasts, then this would be a good bet.
Now that you’ve learned all the nitty gritty on Pimsleur, we’ll show you what other customers think of the product (besides us). We’ve collected a few reviews online and placed them here to show you the good and the bad. Also, if you’d like, you can see how they stack up against other language learning programs in our large comparison article.
Positive Pimsleur Reviews
Very nice product, I have taken Spanish class during college and this is a fine method to brush up my skills, I am attempting to go through the entire Spanish products that Pimsleur has to offer. I am also planning to try the Rosetta Stone program after completing this. As a realtor this would be a great assistance to my career and a great investment as well. -Mike, Effective Language Learning, 8/30
Negative Pimsleur Reviews
Ok I make my review simple and straight forward:
1) Pimsleur is just for complete beginners
2) Pimsleur is totally overpriced
3) I don’t like just hearing foreign words without knowing how to write it. -SayMak, Effective Language Learning, 9/2
Americans Falling Behind in Language Learning
Only 20% of Americans are bilingual compared to 43% in most countries worldwide. We’re a little behind the eight ball but there’s no time like the present to start making up for that! Take the initiative today by learning a second language. The morning commute is a great way to chip away at it.
How Does Pimsleur Work?
Carol explains a bit more about how Pimsleur works in this short (1:20) video.
What Other Options Are There Besides Pimsleur?
We hope our Pimsleur Review has helped you in your journey to learning a new language. Remember we’ve got a large language learning software review in which Pimsleur won the category for “Best Audio Learning.” You’ll find pros, cons, pricing, etc. for competing language learning software options that may be a better fit for your particular needs.
Which language have you always wanted to learn?
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.