To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Rankings remain impartial. Our review process.
Are audiobooks your thing? If so, you’ve likely heard about Audible, the world’s largest audiobook provider. Audible dominates the market for sure, but is it worth it, especially for a membership? How much is Audible for membership, anyway? And how does Audible work? Read our Audible reviews to learn all about this Amazon-owned, powerhouse of a reading marketplace.
- Membership not required to purchase audio books
- Excellent search features
- Instant downloads
- Can listen to quality samples before you buy
- Exchange books you don’t like
- Customer reviews are a great source for deciding on titles
- Cancel any time and keep all of your audio books
- 24/7 customer support
- No rental options
- Doesn’t offer CDs
- Several users complain that the player is clunky and difficult to navigate
- Lots of customer complaints about the cancellation process
- Streaming only available with Amazon Prime membership
- More than 150,000 titles
- All the main genres and hundreds of categories
- Membership gives you 30% off all audio books and exclusive promotions (up to 75% off select books)
- You get free books on Audible (one per month with membership)
- Compatible with Apple, Android and Windows smartphones and tablets, Kindle (check out our Kindle vs Nook comparison), Fire tablets, Alexa devices, iTunes and Windows 10 app
- Audible Channels: listen to original audio series and playlists (similar to podcasts)
- Whispersync for Voice feature: on the Kindle tablet and app, you can switch between reading and listening
How much does Audible cost to become a member? You can test drive membership with their 30-day free trial.
- $14.95 per month
Use this link to get two free books when you try Audible for the first time!
What’s the Buzz About Audible?
As part of our review process, we research what real users are saying about each product and service. Here’s a sampling of both positive and negative reviews we’ve found about Audible.
Positive Audible Reviews
I have been with Audible for some time and have had minimum issues. There are an excellent choices of audio books. I recently gave feedback on a book which was narrated badly. I then got an email inviting me to return the book and my credit was refunded. – John H., Trustpilot 7/13/2017
I’ve been with Audible for about two years and listen to their books at work. The service isn’t cheap but the books are usually very high quality. The credit you get with the subscription can get you multiple books if you spend it carefully. I have no complaints about the service. – Stuart T., Sitejabber 4/17/2017
Negative Audible Reviews
Service is fine but they will make you fight every day for over a year to stop charging you even after they continue to promise to stop. (I even had documented verification.) I’m now ordering a new bank card because Audible is so difficult to work with. – Richard C., Sitejabber 7/6/2017
Oh man, how difficult does Audible want to make things? I just want to listen to one audio book. If you’re hoping for a simple audio download to play on the player of your choice, forget it!! Frustrating and disappointing experience with an unreliable interface. – Wil B., Trustpilot 7/4/2017
What Are Audible Channels?
Are you a fan of podcasts? Audible Channels are similar. Each is an original audio series covering any interest, from crime to politics to comedy and more. If you’re an Amazon Prime member, you can get Audible Channels for free. Not an Amazon Prime member? Check out our article, Is Amazon Prime Worth It? The video below highlights comedy star Will Arnett as he describes the Audible Channel he hosts, ‘Comedy Show Show.’
Want To Upgrade Your Audible Sound Quality?
Is Audible the best source for audio books? If you want access to mainstream books, there are other sources out there, but no other site has the sheer numbers and the diversity of genres you can get at Audible. We think it’s a wise investment for an avid audiobook “reader”. How else can you upgrade your audio entertainment to maximize your Audible listening experience? Check out our guide to the best bluetooth speakers.
What are the best books on Audible? Share your picks for the best Audible books with others in our community.Tagged With: